Come join us in celebrating World Turtle Day at Oakmont! At Oakmont’s inception, 46 acres were set aside for gopher tortoise conservation. After many months of collaboration between Oakmont’s developer, ICI Homes, and local wildlife experts, the Oakmont Tortoise Reserve opened to Oakmont residents as a passive amenity on April 10, 2021. Gopher tortoises are protected both federally and by the state of Florida as an endangered species. They are a keystone species whose burrows provide shelter to over 350 species of animals. To help raise awareness for these important animals, Oakmont is opening the Reserve to the public for one day only.
Oakmont Public Event
Event Date/Time: May 23rd from 11am-3pm
Event Location: Sports Field
- Food Trucks – A portion of food truck proceeds go to charity (Junior Achievement, PACE Center for Girls, and Tyler’s Hope for a Dystonia Cure)
- A raffle benefiting these three charities
- DJ playing music and hosting games for prizes (Limbo, Hula Hoop Contest, Simon Says)
- Bounce houses
- Yard games
- Tours through the Reserve with a Lake and Wetland Management representative
- Builder tents where future residents can learn more about Oakmont’s homebuilders
COVID-19 precautions will be in place, including masks and hand sanitizer available at all stations. Reserve tours will be limited capacity with a max of 25 people per tour. Tours will depart every 30 minutes. You can register for your time slot at the event.